Monday, September 22, 2008

Courtney breathes a sigh of relief

I am sure Matt will update you all on the Ryder Cup sometime soon. I just wanted to poke my head in and let everyone know that I got official word today that I passed my written preliminary exams. It was a stressful few months around our house and I don't think I took a full deep breath since early July. The exams are required (along with an oral exam which is slotted for January) in order for me to advance to candidacy which is the next step towards that PhD.

For those of you that weren't privy to the entire process: I got 7 topics for the three questions back in late May. I gathered all the research materials I could for those topics over the next few months (with time off for the wedding and honeymoon of course). In mid-July I got the first question which I had 72 hours to write and hand in (8-12 pages). After handing in the first question I got a week off before getting a second question (again 72 hours, 8-12 pages). Another week off and then I got my third question (a full week, 15 pages).

I passed the first two questions on the first try. My advisor and the other grader of my third question decided that the question I had been given didn't really suit the 15 page limit.  They asked me to rewrite my answer with a more focused question. I started rewriting on the 10th of this month and handed in my rewrite on the 17th. Apparently this time around I improved on the original enough to squeak by. 

Combined with the fact that I think I have found a new site for my research where they have already established an active purple martin colony, my degree is once again completely on track. I'm just thrilled I never have to take this test again, it wasn't fun. Now I guess I should start focusing on the oral exam. Well, maybe I will take just a day or two to celebrate....

Courtney 

1 comment:

Cameron said...

whew! i know you're glad to be done with all that. congrats on passing them all :)